Unused Custom Sub-Objects workflow

Attached is a LiveCompare template that I wrote in response to a customer's support request to find all the “unused custom sub-objects” for the “unused custom programs and tcodes”.

The presumption I have to made, is that the “used custom sub-objects’ are All used.

 The workflow:

  • Splits out the used vs the unused programs and tcodes.
  • Does a Uses What on both to find all the custom sub-objects
  • Filters out any standard objects and gets a distinct list
  • Matches the “unused custom sub-objects” with the “used custom sub-objects”
  • The result on the left produces a list of the “unused custom sub-objects” that do exist in the “Used custom sub-objects list”.
  • The result on the right produces a list of the “unused custom sub-objects” that don’t exist in the “Used custom sub-objects list”.
  • I put this in our system and ran it.   I don't think it worked because I did not get any unused objects.   When I run U3 from the upgrade analysis template I get 5305 objects that are not used.   I am running this in version 1.1.

    Is this template supported in 1.1?  

    How come the objects are different?

    What is the definition of depth is it the same as the impact analysis workflow?

  • Steve,

    Please contact me so i can have a look at your results to resolve this.

    Tim Benton

    Intellicorp Technical Support

    (508) 621-1625

  • The reason Steve did not get any "unused sub objects" is because I accidently left some test SQL in the workflow. Sorry about that.

    To fix this, remove the 2 Delete statements from the action called "Find Unused Custom Objects"

    Thanks to Steve for his time,

    Tim Benton

  • Tim, is the correction you describe above now in the  workflow? Also, can you list what SubObjects are supported in this workflow.

    Thanks

  • Tim, is the correction you describe above now in the  workflow? Also, can you list what SubObjects are supported in this workflow.

    Thanks

  • I know this is a very old thread but it is relevant for me here now in 2013...

    I created the Workflow and it's running now in our 3.0 version. However, the Uses What action from the left side has been running for 30-some hours and this doesn't seem right. As well, from the comments below it looks like I still need to remove the delete statements as noted - which is not a problem.

    My question is if this should really be running for so long or if there's something else wrong possibly due to version upgrades and such?

    Thanks for any insight.

  • Bryan,

    Since this is more than 4 years old, you need to do a couple of things to run more efficiently.

    1. Abort the current one running.

    2. Run the "Create Object Links Cache" that is in the Impact Analysis package of templates. Change the parameter called "Hours" to "0" (zero).

    3. Before  starting the Unused Custom Sub-Objects workflow again, replace the two Uses What actions with new ones from the component Palette.

    let me know if you have any questions,

    Tim Benton

  • Cool. I'll give that a whirl and let you know if I run into any issues.

    Thanks.

  • Ok, made the adjustments and let 'er run. It took 70 hours but she finished. I haven't analzed all the results yet... but I've got results. Thanks again for the assistance.