We've seen reports that Apps cannot be accessed after upgrading to LiveCompare 3.9.2.
The root cause is LiveCompare's deconfiguration wizard (which was run when the previous LiveCompare version was uninstalled) did not correctly reset the LiveCompare service account's TEMP and TMP environment variables. They are now invalid. This causes the Apps runtime to fail reporting an error like:
Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\livecompare_apps\afe9c686\fd752be1\App_Web_appshome.cshtml.a8d08dba.wcch2ns4.dll' – 'The directory name is invalid. '
To correct the problem:
1. Take remote control of the LiveCompare server and login using the LiveCompare service account. You can only fix the problem if you login with the LiveCompare service account credentials.
2. Start the registry editor and navigate to:
Note that TEMP and TMP are of type REG_SZ. This is wrong.
3. Right-click on the right side of the editor and choose New > Expandable String Value.
4. Set Name to TEMP2.
5. Set Value to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
6. Delete TEMP.
7. Rename TEMP2 to TEMP.
8. Right-click on the right side of the editor and choose New > Expandable String Value.
9. Set Name to TMP2.
10. Set Value to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
11. Delete TMP.
12. Rename TMP2 to TMP.
Now start IIS Manager and expand the hierarchy to select Application Pools. Select the LiveCompare application pool.
Click Stop. Wait 10s.
Now restart a browser on your local computer and confirm that you can now access LiveCompare apps.